The 3rd International Conference on Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler (CFBB03) was held at the Westin Chosun Hotel in Busan in 25-26, Nov. 2020, co-hosted by Tsinghua University, Pusan National University and Korea Southern Power. It was held online and offline (Busan) in parallel due to the impact of COVID-19, with about 200 people from all over the world participating. The conference was chaired by Pusan National University Professor Chung-hwan Jeon, and Tsinghua University Professor Hairui Yang participated as the co-chair.
There were presentations by experts from China, Korea, the United States, Canada, Sweden, Italy, Poland, and other countries such as India, Finland, Switzerland, and Japan, as well as IEA (international energy agency)-FBC (Fluidized Bed Conversion) and IEA-Clean Coal Center participated.
At CFBB03, the latest experimental and modeling results of circulating fluidized bed boilers in the field of basic research were introduced, and the design and operating characteristics of the world’s first and largest supercritical and supercritical circulating fluidized bed boilers, improvement cases, and economic effects were announced.
In addition, research on various problems that may occur in circulating fluidized bed boilers, mechanisms, and preventive measures were presented. Inhomogeneity and modeling studies in large fluidized bed heat exchangers and carbon dioxide capture and storage (CCS) technology based on fluidized bed heat exchanger technology were also presented. The latest research results have also been published.
Young scholars presented the latest research results on various topics such as nitrogen oxide emission characteristics from circulating fluidized bed boilers, improvement of desulfurization efficiency, optimization through numerical analysis, and improvement of cyclone efficiency.
Although under the impact of COVID-19, Professor Hairui Yang personally presided over the online technical exchange between Shaoguan Power Plant and Samcheok Power Plant. They conducted in-depth exchanges on the technology and operating experience of CFB boilers.
Topics of Invited Speeches
- Flow regime transition of Geldart B type particles in CFB boilers / Hairui Yang (Tsinghua Univ., China)
- Numerical simulation of a CFB boiler: Improved accuracy through multi-dimensional simulations / Uendo Lee (Korea Institute of Industrial Technology, Korea)
- Practical solution and improvement for large scale CFB boilers / Gyu-Young Hwang (Samcheok Thermal Power Plant, KOSPO, Korea)
- Commissioning and operation of the world first 660MW supercritical CFB boiler / Song Gang (China Energy Engineering Group Co., Ltd, China)
- Heat transfer under different bed hydrodynamics conditions in a large-scale CFB boiler / Artur Błaszczuk (Czestochowa Univ. of Technology, Poland)
- 460 MWe supercritical CFB boiler in TAURON Wytwarzanie Łagisza Power Plant: Brief history and initial operation experience / Szymon Jagodzik (Elektrownia Łagisza, Poland)
- Modernization solutions implemented during a major overhaul based on 10 years of boiler operation of Łagisza Power Plant / Jarosław Grochowalski (Elektrownia Łagisza, Poland)
- The four-quadrant map of fluidization / Jesse Zhu (Western Univ., Canada)
- Bed particle agglomeration in circulating fluidized bed boiler burning high alkali fuels: from discrete to continuum / Jianbo Li (Chongqing Univ., China)
- Characteristics of co-combustion of strongly caking and non-caking coals in a pilot circulating fluidized bed combustor / Kyoungil Park (KEPCO Research Institute, Korea)
- Study on slagging and fouling characteristics of highalkali low-rank coal in circulating fluidized bed / Yang, Zhao (Chinese Academy of Science, China)
- Formation of agglomerates and clinkers by caking coal in a 550MWe CFB boiler / Seok-Gi Ahn (Samcheok Thermal Power Plant, KOSPO, Korea)
- Optimization of operation management of a 350MW supercritical CFB Boiler / Wang, Pengcheng (Gemeng International, China)
- Monitoring of bed material in a biomass fluidized bed boiler / Tomas Leffler (Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden)
- Techno-economical analysis and life cycle assessment of a CCU process combining calcium looping and sorption-enhanced methanation / Fabrizio Scala (University of Naples Federico II, Italy)